IDAN’S Guide 2016, offered opportunities for the Interior design section of Nigeria’s retail sector to expand on retail stores design, with business insights drawn from speakers, exhibitors, professional and attendees for retail and wholesale level management.
Interior Design Association of Nigeria(IDAN.org) is a union of designers and building industry representatives committed to interior design. This platform, Guide was established to address the major problems being “the lack of professionalism in the practice, poor statutes governing the interior design industry and a lack of comprehensive professional training in interior design” says Tola Akerele, Chairperson GUIDE planning committee.
GUIDE, which stands for Gida Uno Ile Exhibition, representing ‘house’ in the three major languages in the country, is a yearly furniture, interior design, products design and lifestyle exhibition.This 2016 Guide which happens to be the 4th edition was themed “Home Grown; home inspired”
IDAN Vice President, Mrs Ifeyinwa Ighodalo says emphatically
“We are pushing and inspiring more designers to do things that are culturally sound; things that have to do with Nigeria where we’re from, using materials that are locally found and easily accessible.”
SPEAKERS AT GUIDE 2016 This year’s GUIDE 2016 featured 9 speakers with good design industry experience; this seminar series was geared towards providing valuable information to professionals and emerging store and product designers to help catch new trends while in pursuit of practical excellence. Visitors and home owners were also inspired to make guided choices in home design choices.
- Money, Money (I’m a designer, how do I charge for it?) Amritt Flora, Middlesex University.
- Managing Stakeholders in commercial contract, by Nwamaka Okoye of Housessories Ltd.
- Interior Design Lagos(Getting an Education in Lagos), Osaru Allile of CC Interior studios, University of Lagos.
- Window Styling (choosing appropriate window treatment), Mrs Shasanya of Design Works
- Project management Essentials for interior design practitioners, Uyi Egharevba of Episode Interiors
- How to unlock the potential of your property(Styling show homes and staging properties for sale),Omon Annenih-Mordi of Blue Mahogany
- Choosing and applying colour correctly, Titi Fowora of Inu designs
- Starting an interior design business, Nwamaka Okoye
- “Why Quality matters”, Aframero Ltd
Recall that this event took place at The Landmark Centre Oniru, from 7th July to 8th July. It was a successful event, as Osaru Alile’s delivered the good news about University of Lagos ready to launch their Interior design degree program come September/October academic session 2016.She says when choosing a school, be sure their program comprises of technical knowledge,Conceptual thinking, Design thinking, Knowledgeable lecturers and Time span.
This platform has also opened up opportunities for retail business and retail store designers, architects to access made in “Made in Nigeria” accessories to style homes, influence Retail stores design and corporate spaces.
Some of the exhibitors were;
- Essential Media Limited, Lekki
- Magna Villa Distribution Limited: Distributors of SanteroWines.
- DO.II Designs, Victoria Island.
- O-CUBED DESIGNS Ltd
- CC Interiors Limited, Lekki
- Colour Sense Limited,Lagos Island
- Portland Paints and products Nig Ltd, Ikeja Lagos
- Mara by Zebra
- GemonaWest Interior Designs
Design lounge & GUIDE 2016 Awards
- At the opening of the first nights soirée,
- “Best use of Space” award was given to UrbanLivingLagos for creating a contemporary living Bedroom combo
- “Best Original product” award was bagged by Quintessence for their collection of all Made in Nigeria products.
- Best interpretation of the theme“Home grown, home inspired” went Pinceto Ltd.
- “Most Innovative award went I-Design for their creative use of space
Other exhibitor that contributed to the design lounge were Svengali Ankara styled furniture, Enye Interiors, Doshlaps interior.
More design details and pictures will be in our Retail store design gallery soonest!!!!.